Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"I Hope You Dance..."

Received a note from an acquaintance yesterday expressing regret that he hadn't gone paddling that day.  Then came a note from another friend:  "I'm sitting in the yard and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden.  I'm spending more time with my family and friends and less time working.  Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure.  I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish them.  'Someday and "one of these days' are losing their grip on my vocabulary.  It it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now.  I'm not sure what others would've done had they known they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for granted.  I think they would have called family members and a few close friends.  They might have called a few former friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles.  I like to think they would have gone out for a Chinese dinner or for whatever their favorite food was.  I'm guessing; I'll never know.  It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I knew my hours were limited.  Angry because I hadn't written certain letters that I intended to write one of these days.  Angry and sorry that I didn't tell my spouse and family often enough how much I truly love them.  I'm trying very hard not to put off, hold back, or save anything that would add laughter and luster to life.  And, every morning when I open my eyes, I tell myself that it is special.  Every day, every minute, every breath truly is a gift!  Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!  (or go paddling!)  Hope you wring as much enjoyment out of this day as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment