Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dawdling

Beware!  Bikes, motorcycles, RV's, empty
tractor-trailors may go flying!


Yup, that’s what I’m doing---dawdling. Moving aimlessly or lackadaisically. Even though I got my ride in despite the wind, I apologize to those who are gracious enough to visit from time to time for not doing anything more exciting, but it’s hard to start the expedition without the expedition canoe---the Superior Expedition. I know Scott Smith will call when Ibi (pron. EYE-be) is done. My twice-monthly calls for status reports don’t help get the canoe done any faster, and serve to increase both my frustration and his, so I promised to stop calling. As I explained to him, I’ve never had a boat built before, so I guess I was unrealistic in expected build time. And I don’t know why. I’ve built boats myself and know how things drag on and how the menial little things often eat up time without showing any noticeable progress in the build. So, I pass on the same promise he gave me---any time now.

We’re not the only ones waiting on the threshold of a big adventure. Perhaps you’ve noticed the new link I’ve added in the margin for Canoe Across America. Darrin Kimbler has at least set a start date---April 1st---for his eight-month, 5,200 mile trip. He’s paddling to fight obesity, and he’s 41 and 30 lbs. overweight. Ah, to be just 41 and just 30 lbs. too heavy. Not that I’m superstitious, but I don’t know about starting a 5,200 mile trip on April Fool’s Day. I’d be inclined to get organized, rest, and push off on the 2nd.
Best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment