Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Visitors in the Dark


This is Piper.  She looks demonic with her red eyes glowing in the camera, but she is one of the sweetest cats ever owned by a dog person.  I was off on the ship when Jean decided to adopt Piper and her sister.  She was supposed to be a surprise.  Mission accomplished.  They had been raised in a goat barn, and like the goats, could go straight up any wall and perch on any supposedly unattainable perch.  Until we accomplished some behavior modification, we had some vexing times as we accumulated claw marks on walls near the ceilings.  The farm had had a large population of cats until they were discovered by a pack of coyotes.  The canines had cleaned house.  These two kittens were the last survivors.  True, she's worthless as a paddling partner or camp watch cat, but she's a good companion when she curls up of an evening in the crook of my arm and purrs a thank you for us saving her from certain death.  Unlike with a dog, there's no knowing that she will be at the window or door waiting for my footsteps, but I know that as soon as I head for my recliner, Piper will race me to the chair and wait for me to pick her up and put her in my lap.  The softer the sweatshirt or flannel, the faster she will nestle in and begin to sing.  We don't always get to choose our friends and companions, but love is pricelss regardless of whose heart it comes from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment