Pine Grove Furnace paymaster's office. Workers went up one set of stairs,
signed for their pay at a table inside the door, and continued down the other stairs.
In 1830, Peter expanded his operation with the addition of the Laurel Forge, which heated and hammered the cast iron to produce wrought iron. An 1837 bankruptcy caused Ege to lose the iron works to Frederick Watts and his lawyer partner, Charles Penrose, at a sheriff sale. If you think wealth buying political influence and position is something new, consider that Watts became Commissioner of Agriculture under President Grant in 1871, and Penrose was state senator and Treasury Solicitor under President Harrison. On the plus side, in 1855, Watts used his money to found Penn State University.
Mules provided the power for most stages of the operation, making the stables
and shops an essential facility. The store here now offers the famous pig trough
ice cream sundae that Appalachian Trail hikers consider an important milestone.
The grist mill ground grain from nearby company farms.
This was the boarding house for those that wanted to stay and enjoy the
fishing, swimming, or hunting longer. It is now the park's administrative offices.
Perhaps conservation goes too far when this huge hornet nest is
left hanging outside the park office window.
In 1941, 250 acres of Bunker Hill Farm, one of the farms that had grown food and animal feed for the iron works and company town, was used for the construction of a prisoner-of-war camp. This was used for the holding and interrogation of German U-boat crews and Japanese prisoners until the end of the war in 1945.
The apple tree was buzzing with bees enjoying the beautiful blossoms.
Today, here in Oklahoma, is a good day to hunker down. The wind continues at 35 mph. with gusts today up to 45 mph. Forget keeping a canoe under control. Even a screen door is a challenge. This foolishness is supposed to continue every day for the next week.