Saturday, August 10, 2013

Milford's Northeast Front Street

There are two exceptional photographers from Southern Delaware---Tamara James and Ken Arni. I even toyed with the idea of trying to make contact so I could meet them and put faces and personalities to the names, but it was soon pretty obvious that was not going to happen. They are both linked to the blog in the right margin under Favorite Links (Photography by Tamara and Arni Photography). Whether to find a piece to improve the face value of a wall in your home, or just marvel at their work, please click their links and check them out.

 

An entrance that just says "welcome", and part of the



beauty of historic Northeast Front Street.


I’m not even close to their level of work, but I enjoy taking pictures and sharing them on the blog and Facebook. While I’ll never be on a par with their work, all I ask is that I keep improving. While Jean was busy elsewhere, I took a morning to visit some of the local history in Milford. Buddy waited patiently while I walked historic Northeast Front Street, which runs along the headwaters of the Mispillion River.

Check the date laid in the brickwork at the eave: 1787.
 
Milford was a village laid out in 1787 on a tract of land granted by the Duke of York in 1680. It was then called Saw Mill Range. The dam across the Mispillion headwaters built by Rev. Syndenham Thorne provided power to the sawmill, and also provided a place to cross, or ford, the stream, and thus the name: mill-ford. The village was incorporated as a town in 1807. It was a town divided by both the Mispillion and the county line. What was called “Old Town” lay in Kent County on the north side, and “New Town” lay on the other side of the river in Sussex County. Milford’s history is Delaware’s history, having been the home of several Governors, Tharp, Causey, Burton, and Watson, Rogers, Haslet, and Minner, and U.S. Senator John M. Clayton, who would serve as Secretary of State under Pres. Zachary Taylor.

The Towers, bed and breakfast, built in 1783, when Milford was a major
shipbuilding center.  Later home of William Burton, Delaware's governor
during the Civil War.
 
I've been fighting the computer for two days trying to download pictures.  As soon as I think I know what I'm doing, it throws me a curve with no explanation.  I hope you enjoy what I have here so far.
jim
 











 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment