Children's Lake, a fisherman, and the grist mill in the background.
The name of the town, Boiling Springs, comes from some 30 natural springs that bubble to the surface from 1,800 ft. deep subterranean caves with enough force to make the surface appear to be boiling. They bring 22 million gallons of crystal clear, 53-deg. water to the surface each day. The cold water cools the surrounding air, making the springs a popular picnicking spot before the age of air conditioning. The resulting stream was dammed in the 1750’s to provide hydro-power for the Carlisle Iron Works, which was built in 1760. Besides producing iron pieces for household and farm use, the blast furnace made munitions during the Revolutionary War.
A mallard duckling.
In 1895, the Valley Traction Co. laid a trolley line to the lake from the town of Carlisle. The five-cent trolley ride ran every half-hour bringing people to the 7-acre lake and town park. Feeding the swans, geese, and ducks became so popular with children, the lake became known as Children’s Lake. The single-story dance hall is now home to Yellow Breeches Outfitters, a mecca for area fly-fishermen, and named for the creek that runs behind the grist mill.
The four-faced clock tower dedicated as a war memorial.
There are several other popular sites around the small community, like the Boiling Springs pools, the stone arch bridge of 1784, the Ege-Bucher Mansion of 1780, which is called Highland Terrace, the iron works blast furnace and stables, and the 1832 Boiling Springs Hotel and Tavern. While it is no longer used as a hotel, the tavern and restaurant are still popular spots.
One of several swans that call Children's Lake home.