Monday, January 17, 2011

Cruise Day 20, 21, and 22

(Day 20) There were several groups of ducks in Cove of Cork, but I have a feeling that they are year-round residents rather than migrating. They seemed a bit too laid back to be trying to get south. At 0750, I powered out of the creek and headed further up the Severn River. For those who have never seen the Severn, it is really beautiful country. A look at the chart will show the closely stacked topographic contour lines that reflect the steep banks and hills surrounding the river. The shoreline is pocked with a great number of creeks and coves that provide good hideaways in spite of the dense population in the area. So, I was off today to visit those. We ran through Luce Creek, Saltworks Creek, Clements Creek, Brewer Creek, Round Bay and Little Round Bay, Hopkins Creek, Maynadier Creek, Valentine Creek, Plum Creek, Forked Creek, Sullivan Creek, and Chase Creek. By this time it was time to get back down the river to Back Creek, a place where I could safely ride at anchor for a couple days. NOAA was again predicting a large weather system for the area that would have me weatherbound in port. Running south past the U.S. Naval Academy and Annapolis Harbor, I got back into Back Creek and set two anchors in the same spot I had left yesterday.

Annapolis Harbor

(Day 21) The next day Thistle remained in port. As promised, we had high winds. Two boats near us were dragging their anchors, and I got tired watching a German boat that must have reset its anchor twenty times, night and day, over the next couple days. A couple shopping trips were made on foot, but Dave saw me on the road and picked me up during one trip.
Whenever I heard a boat going by, I’d pop my head out of the companionway to say ‘hello’. On one occasion, a dinghy was passing as a strong gust of wind ripped the hat off the man’s head and dropped it in the water. He made a couple loops and picked in up, throwing the sodden cap in the bottom of the dinghy. A sailor motoring by yelled, “Nice save!” The man in the dinghy responded, “Yeah, I need this to cover my balding spot.” The sailor called back, “We don’t call that balding any more. We say we’re growing a solar panel.” That was a new one.
In the evening, Dave invited me to join him for dinner at Davis’ Pub. Apparently this is the last of the true sailors’ pubs remaining in Annapolis. We were joined there by Nick, dockmaster of Watergate Village, and his wife, Renee, and infant daughter, who had to be the best behaved baby I’ve ever seen. The hour was way beyond her bedtime, but she was having a ball. She smiled and laughed with everyone in the pub, and became the unofficial hostess. It was a great evening, and good food. Give Davis’ a go if you’re in Annapolis at Eastport on Back Creek. Dave and Nick, I thank you both for the experience.

(Day 22) I became Dances with Rain Clouds. I was making several trips ashore for hardware and provisions, and had been having fair luck with rain. I carried my foul weather gear in my canvas brief case, but the closest I had come to a soaking was having to dive into a bus shelter for about 15 minutes. Today I moved into a slip, putting an end to having to worry about dragging or getting in the way of traffic. The wind wasn’t about to give up.  I tried to remain upbeat, but let’s face it, I was really having crappy luck with the weather. The reliable wind the bay is supposed to enjoy in the fall just wasn’t there. It was either no wind at all, or 30 kts. and rain. Oh well. That’s part of the game when playing with Mother Nature.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment